773-809-5002

Free Website Evaluation

Bing Simplifies Local Directory Confirmation

Bing Simplifies Its Local Directory Confirmation

When Bing first came out, we at Chicago Style SEO immediately went in to claim our local listings (as everyone concerned with their web site’s SEO should do for all search engines and directories). I was a bit displeased when I went in to find that Bing was going to mail me a postcard with a pin number on it rather than what has become the common practice of doing the process by phone.

Google’s Imperfect Local Listing Claiming System

Take Google for example. If you want to claim a Google Local listing, you search for the business or enter a new business into their system. The final step in the process is for you to prove you are connected to the business. It only makes sense?you don’t want your competitors claiming your business and then saying you don’t accept credit cards, have no phone number, have no parking, and have the business hours of 3:00 a.m. to 4:00 a.m. So, Google gives you call and gives you a pin number. You then have to type the pin number into Google’s system, thereby proving you have some connection to the company since you can answer their phone.

I thought about Bing’s system of mailing the pin and decided that it did make a bit more sense to do the mailing since a phone number does not necessarily have any connection to a location. (Not like when I was a kid with rotary dial phones that had cords!) In Google’s system, the listing is put in their map system, but the phone number not only is not connected to a physical location, but can also be changed in the listing after it is confirmed, as can the address. So, Google’s system isn’t perfect, and it seemed like Bing was trying to get more accurate information by sending post cards.

So yesterday, while working for a client, I went into Bing to claim the client’s local listing and found that Bing now allows for phone confirmation. It’s just a slight twist on Google’s system. Bing gives you a pin and then calls the business’ number. You then have to enter the pin into the phone. It worked like a charm for our client.

I Still Haven’t Received My Bing Postcard

Since I’m still waiting for my Bing postcard, I decided that Bing has smart people working for them…they must allow people waiting for the postcards to go in and use the new phone system. I looked and looked and couldn’t find a way to “cancel” the post card and use the phone system. It appears to me that there is no way of changing from the postcard to the phone system. The curse of early adopters I guess.

<sigh> Come on post office! Or mayby the whole reason they changed the system is Bing couldn’t get the postcards out quickly enough? Who knows…I just know I want to claim my business with Bing and can’t.

About Rod Holmes

Rod is a partner at Chicago Style SEO, a full-service Internet marketing company in Chicago. His main responsibility around the office is being the head PPC wrangler (he's a certified Google AdWords expert). He also seems to spend a lot of time on the phone talking with clients and prospective clients. You can find Rod on several social media channels: , Twitter, and Facebook.

, , ,

13 Responses to Bing Local Now Allows Local Listings Confirmation By Phone, But Not If You’ve Asked for a Postcard

1. Keith June 25, 2009 at 10:12 am #

Thanks. You reminded me I have to add Bing to my list of Local Search Engines and Directories!

2. Andy June 25, 2009 at 11:13 am #

Hi Rod

That is good info to know. It would not surprise me someday to have Google – Bing – Yahoo “conformation representative” show up at a business to confirm that you are who you say you are. Both the postcards and the pin number can still be abused .

Andy

3. Rod July 21, 2009 at 9:20 am #

After requesting a second card, the first and the second cards arrived in about five days. We’re now local on Bing…whoot whoot whoot.

4. Troy August 18, 2009 at 11:39 pm #

I received the card right away, verified, and still don’t have a listing. In fact, not one web design company in my city (and there are a few) have a listing yet. I smell a scam – read my blog article for details: http://www.tpdesigns.net/articles/promotion-articles/bing-local-drives-traffic-to-yellowpages.com-by-sucking.html

5. John August 24, 2009 at 10:10 am #

Just hope that Bing can really challenge Google as IMHO we need a bi-polar web search environment rather than the uni-polar web search that Google has been able to create for so long.

6. Zen_d August 26, 2009 at 7:07 pm #

Thanks for the heads-up Rod.

MSN may have changed things again. I just went to Bing Local to add a client and the phone option is gone.

7. Christian September 15, 2009 at 11:56 am #

Yep, phone is gone… No love for the Chicago Suburbs.
    Still haven’t received my card after a month

8. Brad Miller September 23, 2009 at 2:34 pm #

Can we all just agree to stop doning business with Microsoft?

I wish we would.

9. Benard November 17, 2009 at 11:57 pm #

Even google keeps changing these options now a days

10. Jadwiga Carlson December 17, 2009 at 9:02 am #

I received my post card with PIN on it but the Bing will not accept it ~ says “Invlid PIN” ~ but I am typing in EXACTLY what the card says. I’m so frustrated. Requested another PIN to be sent. No phone option!!!

11. Gregg Cantor March 21, 2010 at 6:24 pm #

I am beyond frustrated with Microsoft. Last August I set up a beautiful profile with images, videos etc, and I am still waiting for approval. The first time, a pin came promptly, but Microsoft had a back log for months. In January or February, I noticed that a pin was needed again. Two requests later, I am still waiting. Microsoft is really missing it on Bing. Even after trying to do a paid profile, there was no response.

12. Kathy April 23, 2010 at 6:01 pm #

I have tryed to add my business 4 different times with the last statement saying we will send out a pin # in the mail. I have been waiting for a month, still no letter. Talk about snail mail!!

13. Calliste September 20, 2012 at 11:36 am #

Fast forward to 2012 and the really sad thing is that they no longer allow listings if you don’t receive mail there. So for instance at my beach house that I rent out, we can no longer have a local listing. I used to get quite a few inquiries from that. Google says the no longer offer local listings for rental homes.